Here in Goshen, Indiana we just received the biggest snow fall of the year. But, we know March is almost here which means soon our landscape trucks will be out helping home owners in Elkhart, Granger, Middlebury, Bristol, Warsaw, Nappanee, Mishawaka, Edwardsburg, and the surrounding areas get ready for summer.
We want to share 5 Steps to Better Spring Mulching to ensure your mulch is applied correctly to maximizing all the benefits of wood mulch. Incorrect mulch application can actually damage trees and plantings.
- Check the depth of the existing mulch. If 2-4″ are present, do not add more mulch. Either remove some of the existing mulch and apply new hardwood mulch, or rake the existing mulch to break-up the surface and refresh the appearance.
- If your beds need a fresh application of mulch, apply the wood mulch to a total depth of 2-4″ for well-drained soils.
- Remember to keep mulch at least 2″ away from all tree trunks to avoid damaging your trees. When mulch is piled against the tree trunk, the bark can become damp and warmer than ambient temperatures. This encourages insect infestation that can lead to a short death of the tree. If mulch has already been piled against your tree, pull the mulch back to reduce future damage.
- For reduced maintenance, apply weed prevention to each mulch bed. This should be completed in early spring and often repeated about 6-months later as needed.
- Finally, use a broom or small blower to push any excess mulch or granular weed prevention back into the mulch beds & enjoy summer! Your mulch planting beds will be the envy of the neighborhood.
5 Steps to Better Spring Mulching,
Ensures mulch is applied correctly
Stone Ridge Landscaping Inc. of Goshen is available to help you this spring with a FREE Quote for your spring mulch application. Our certified team is guaranteed to provide great looking beds. Let us help you enjoy living outdoors more this spring!